Friday 20 August 2010

Suggestions?

Our wee group, Keep 'Er Lit, is only starting to develop the singing side of our act and I'm currently experimenting with all kinds of songs, including:
  • Bonniewood Green
  • Carrickfergus
  • The Flower Of The County Down
  • The Ballad Of William Bloat
  • Maids When You're Young Never Wed An Old Man
  • The Lea Rig (Burns)
  • Ye Banks And Braes (Burns)
  • The Diel's Awa Wi The Exciseman (Burns)
  • Willie Brewed A Peck O Maut (Burns)
  • The Wee Cooper Of Fife
  • Wild Mountain Thyme (Will Ye Go Lassie, Go)

I'm also looking at Jackie Boyce's Songs Of The County Down and the Ulster-Scots poets such as James Orr and Robert Huddleston for inspiration, as I'd like to include some local material, particuarly songs that haven't already been done to death and your ideas on this would be most welcome.

7 comments:

  1. How could I have left out The Fishermen Of County Down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, this might not fit your repertoire but a great melody is the local song "The Bold Orange Heroes of Comber". It's in a minor key and goes like the blazes - the tune might be used in other songs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark. I know it well and it is a cracker so I'll maybe give it a go - at a suitable venue! I did The Fishermen Of County Down on Friday night and it seemed to go OK. Jen Orr also does The Ducks Of Magheralin - do you know that one? I've a good few possibilities from Huddleston's work, some of which have possibly never been performed in public. He gives tunes for some but there's others where I'll just have to try and find a tune to fit the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about this song:-

    http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=3661

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rosie. Leezie Lindsay's a good one. I'm also working on a song from my mum's neck of the woods - Willie Archer/The Banks Of The Bann - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHH7Lyo707Y

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about reviving the 'Hills of Carrowdore'. If you are interested I'll send you the words.
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Darren,
    Our wee group Keep 'Er Lit plays The Hills Of Carrowdore as part of a set of three marches. I have the words as printed in Jackie Boyce's Songs Of The County Down and an old cutting fromThe Newtownards Chronicle (possibly different - must check). I'd be interested to hear your version to see if there's any difference.

    Needless to say this is one we'd probably have to save for gigs we do for single identity groups! We're playing for Ballyhalbert LOL the evening of the Royal Wedding, so you never know.

    ReplyDelete